From the WPIC Co-founders, Tracey Manailescu & Danielle Andrews Sunkel
Each year, we provide a re-cap of all that has happened in the world of WPIC, and there is always a lot. 2014 was no exception.
WPIC & WPIC Alumni in the Media
We are so proud of our WPIC Alumni. From awards, magazine features, television shows and news spots, they have received so many accolades and an amazing amount media attention this year. Here are just a few highlights as we can’t possibly fit all of the accomplishments of our many alumni in this post:
- Tracey & Danielle wrote the article “Top 35 Wedding Trends” for Today’s Bride magazine
- 15 Wedding Industry Awards
- Top Destination Wedding Awards (Jennifer Borgh and her team won the Top 10 Travel Only agent, Jamaica Tourist Board Top 50, etc)
- WPICers were quoted in multiple magazines, on-line news like Huffington Post, on radio and in newspapers giving expert advice
- WPICer Walter Galvao hosted his own TV show on Rogers called “The Event Manager”
- So many features in Wedluxe magazine, including this “Frozen-inspired” one and this real wedding
- Tons of features in Style Me Pretty like this real wedding in Winnipeg
- Amazing features like this “Scandal-inspired” wedding feature on Bridal Musings, or this one on Wedding Chicks and this one too
- Check out this super-cool Retro Carnvial real wedding featured on Off Beat Bride
- Tracey had features in Elegant Wedding Magazine, as well as Wedding Obsession (she has a 6-page spread in the current Elegant Wedding too!)
- Danielle was featured on the Frosted Petticoat, Wedding Obesession, Elegant Wedding, and Wedding Opera
- Tracey and Danielle were featured together for a wedding photo shoot in Rome on Bride in Italy
Parlez-vous Française? Hablas Español?
We had our wedding planner course translated into French and Spanish to better accommodate our international students. More languages will be coming shortly.
Nous avons eu le programme de planificateur de mariage traduit en français pour mieux accueillir nos étudiants internationaux.
Teníamos nuestro programa planificador de la boda traducido al español para acomodar mejor a nuestros estudiantes internacionales.
This year we spoke at international wedding conferences, conventions and symposiums including:
- The Mississauga Total Wedding Show “Tips for Planning a Great Wedding”
- Forever I Do in Barbados about “Planning the Perfect Wedding”
- Wedding MBA in Las Vegas about “International Wedding Trends”
- The Jamaica Wedding Professionals Conference in Montego Bay, Jamaica, where we delivered two seminars about, “International Wedding Trends” and “Practices of Successful Wedding Professionals.”
There were tons of learning and networking opportunities provided to WPIC Alumni through out the year:
- Our annual WPIC Kickoff was put on by the current WPIC Regional Representatives and included a fun night of learning and networking in a Vintage Carnival atmosphere
- Events like our Wedding Trends get-together, and a night at the Sultan’s Tent
- The Wedding Professionals Workshop
WPIC Adminsitration Change
We have had big changes within the WPIC administration office, we said “Goodbye” to, Kim Choy, who has moved on to a wonderful position as Event Co-ordinator for another company, and said “Welcome” to our new Office Manager, Kaley Campbell.
Kim was with us for over 5 years, since she was an intern at WPIC Inc. Her full-time start coincided perfectly with our move to our head offices in Markham, so it felt like she was with us from our new beginning.
We had 427 applications for Kim’s job! We went over each resume with a fine-toothed combed, narrowed the applicants to 10 interviews and when it felt like we were not going to find that “perfect fit”, we got one more resume. We were impressed by Kaley’s experience as an Adminstration Assistant and her degree in Marketing. When we met her, we knew her go-getter, bubbly personality was perfect! After checking her references (as soon as she left our interview), we hired her within the hour.
In 2015, we are looking forward to providing opportunities and supporting alumni who are willing to constantly better themselves. We never stop learning, improving, and reinventing ourselves and WPIC as the market demands. We truly believe that the best way to keep the wedding industry strong, is to share knowledge and best practices so that ALL wedding professionals are properly educated. We are stronger and better when we work together.
We wish you nothing but success!
Danielle & Tracey